View Single Post
Old 07-25-2001, 04:59 PM   #5
Moni

Quote:
Originally posted by Djinn Raffo:
Hey Moni!
This is great.
Lots of hummingbirds around my house and i think i will try this out.
Will brown sugar suffice?
What about the feeder itself? I don't want to buy some plastic piece of ...
Maybe i'll try to make one out of wood. Got any ideas?
Hummingbirds are the coolest things.
I think that birds are pretty cool...but kind of taken for granted that they are there...just flying around doing their thing...unnoticable for the most part.
I don't see why brown sugar would not work, but granulated is much less expensive! You might want to reduce the sugar content due to the molasses in brown sugar though and maybe skip the vanilla.
Plastic pieces of crap work fine, just be sure to clean them regularly since sugar and water create molds after a while when they are exposed to heat and sunshine.
Feeders are available in glass but I don't know where to buy them. If I ever see them for sale anywhere I'll pass the word along to you.
I wouldn't have a clue as to how to make one, esp out of wood since hummingbirds feed by sucking nectar through the holes in the feeders. Wood would have to be finished somehow so that the water and sugar mixture does not absorb into the wood, making a really moldy mess after a while. This creates the possibility of making them poisonous to hummers once the water and sugar mixture is added so I am not sure you should try.
The plastic ones are cheap and as long as they are rinsed out well every time you refill them, they'll last a year or two, depending on how much sunlight they are exposed to since they do dry out and crack after a while.

Moni

------------------