View Single Post
Old 07-25-2001, 03:34 PM   #34
tracey
Manshoon

absynthe

you are a sufferer from inappropriate laughter syndrome by the sound of it. it's a very serious condition indeed and i and several of my fellow sufferers are considering applying for funding so that we can form our own self help group! (we're actually not - i hasten to add)

our most recent descent into the naughty world of ILS was my best friend - out on a date with very new potential boyfriend. they were having a very nice evening and had begun to chat about ex's, jeremy confessed that he was still feeling a little bit upset as his ex-girlfriend nora, wasn't so much an ex, as dead. at this point my friend had to look away and sink her fingernails rather hard into her leg - resulting in an expression of pained concern which jeremy took as encouragment.

jeremy continued: she was a keen hill walker (pause, tamsin starts to feel lips twitching and a bubble of giggle rising) but she wasn't very good at it. (inner hysteria threatens to give her a hernia) she went up a hill without a map and got a bit lost and then the mist rolled in and she.....fell into a ravine. tamsin had to leave the table and make a hasty exit into the loo with tears of pain and suppressed laughter rolling down her cheeks.

a few days later, the story got even worse. apparently, jeremy and nora (poor girl) had been having an on/off relationship for 8 years, but had never kissed or anything. well, the weekend that she fell of/into the ravine they had decided that they did love each other and were very happy, but tragically, the one night they actually spent together in the same bed, nora discovered that her period had started, so they never even got to have sex!!! and then she died.

i rather like that story - it's just so bizarre and soooo painfully funny because it's not. tamsin tells it better in the flesh, she keeps saying things like 'it's really not that funny, no. it really isn't'. and then collapsing in a heap of bendy bones.