View Single Post
Old 06-15-2001, 12:16 PM   #36
Ziroc

Quote:
Originally posted by Ramon de Ramon y Ramon:

Where does all this sudden concern with spam stem from ? Just to save server space ?

Spam has been here from the beginning and always will be and the best strategy against it is a) common sense, on the end of trying to avoid it - unfortunately not all are gifted with it or used to apply it - and b) ignoring it, minding your own business and sticking to the threads that are of interest to yourself.

But Ziroc, with all due respect, I would strongly advice against getting into the "gray zone" of categorizing threads whose spam character is up for debate ! A couple of questionable judgements on your part in that area, could damage the board much quicklier and more severely, by alienating many people and poisoning the atmosphere, than any amount of spam could ever do. Just take the "song continuation thread" you labelled as spam as a perfect example: I have never participated in that thread nor I am generally interested in that type of topic, but I strongly contest your assessment that that is spam. It is rather a game which many people participated in and enyojed and what could be wrong with that ? So, if it is not utterly inevitable for technical reasons, I am not aware of, I really ought to counsel extreme restraint on that subject as censorship of any kind is the death nail for a place as diverse as this one. Like every long-time member I know very well how much you care about this, your forum and that you go out of your way to improve and maintain it - I am really grateful for your efforts, but sometimes restraint is just more called for than for any kind of action.

Sorry, if I jumped the gun and read more into this than there actually is, but from your posts here I really got the impression that you have adopted a very unwise - IMHO - change to a more "hands-on" policy.
Sorry you feel that way, but you have no idea how hard it is to run a forum. Until then, you shouldn't judge me. I've been running this forum the same way for years now, and have yet to poison anything , I have been strick on spam since the new forum too, this is nothing new. It's sad that you few guys think so lowly of me, I though I was doing a good job? Ah well.. can't please everyone..

------------------
Ziroc
Ironworks Webmaster
www.tgeweb.com/ironworks