View Single Post
Old 06-10-2001, 06:00 PM   #10
Fljotsdale
Thoth - Egyptian God of Wisdom

Jabidas makes some very good points, though I know LOTS of you Americans won't agree.
I am not vindictive - though I understand how people could feel that way - because I believe vindictiveness would do more damage to me than to the murderer. I have no desire to degrade my inner self by acting/thinking/feeling in a way that resembles their conduct. It would make me feel dirty. (Sorry if that sounds self-righteous. I dare say I am.)
As for the death sentence, yes I am in favour of it. Two main reasons:
1) If a person DELIBERATELY and coldly kills others, that person is a danger to society for as long as s/he lives.
2) I do not see why tax-payers should pay out cash to keep them in prison for years. Which means they either have to die or they have to work hard enough while in prison, at profitable work, to PAY whatever it costs to keep them there. Which is probably not very practical.
Same work principle should apply to EVERYONE in prison for whatever misdeed. It is hardly justice that the society they have vicimised should also pay for their board, lodging and supervision.
But that's me.

------------------

[This message has been edited by Fljotsdale (edited 06-10-2001).]