View Single Post
Old 06-08-2001, 12:46 PM   #11
Fljotsdale
Thoth - Egyptian God of Wisdom

Quote:
Originally posted by Sazerac:

Apologies to any I may offend by this post, as I know we have people here with different beliefs. My mother's vision, though, offered comfort to us as we struggled to cope with our loss. To this day, it still brings a sense of awe to me. I think my mother was very fortunate to witness what she did.

Thanks,

I can't imagine anyone being offended by that, Sazerac, whatever their beliefs. It is a very moving memory, and I am glad you shared it.
I had an odd experience myself after my mother died - not right away, but first a few days after, then again, several times, a week or two afterwards. My family think I am crazy - I think I am crazy! And Moni will not understand how come I don't believe in an afterlife!
Here 'tis:
I was in bed in mom's house, (I stayed there till the funeral) and I heard a mosquito buzzing round my head. Not wanting to get bitten, I put on the light, so I could see to kill it (I DO kill mosquitoes!) and get back to sleep. No sign of it, though, so I put out the light and went back to sleep. No more buzzing. I thought nothing of it, then, though I did have a thought 'that's mom', which I dismissed.
Back home a couple of weeks later I woke up with my mom's voice screaming my name. At the time I thought she sounded terrified, as though she had woken in the dark (she was afraid of the dark). But later, thinking about it, I thought she might just have been frustrated trying to make me hear her.
Then the mosquito came back. We don't normally get mosquitoes round here, and anyway the bedroom window had been shut for several days 'cos it was cold. Tried to find it again, though, with no luck. Same thing happened several nights, and I kept on getting the idea that it was mom trying to talk to me. Finally I decided to try to talk back. I thought that if it was mom, and she sounded like a mosquito, she must be living much faster than me. So, speaking as rapidly, and at as high a pitch as I could manage, I said 'mom, you are too fast, I can't understand'. The mosquito shut up and I have not heard it since.
It embarrasses me to relate this story. I don't believe people are alive after they are dead, and there are obviously simpler explanations which I would prefer to believe. But the feeling that it was mom was very strong. However, when someone close to you dies, you ARE in a very vulnerable state of mind...

------------------