View Single Post
Old 05-19-2001, 08:39 AM   #18
Yorick
Very Mad Bird

Quote:
Originally posted by Memnoch:
I disagree. If someone hits you with an egg thrown full force to the side of your head from 2 feet away, you are entitled to retaliate in self-defence. That's essentially assault. If the egg was thrown from a distance where Prescott could've seen it happening, then you could argue that he should've exercised more restraint. But people have a right to preserve their own dignity no matter what position they're in - irrespective of which political party they belong to.

I agree. His reaction was reflex. It would have felt like a rock or bullet or punch for all he knew. He felt wetness which could have been his own blood for all he knew. His instictive survival defenses took over. The protester would not have got tonked if he hadn't been such an idiot in chucking the bloody thing in the first place.

Absolutely hilarious IMO.

If the protester had thrown an egg at any other human from two feet away, you can guarantee that if it was another male with boxing training (like Prescott has) he would have been tonked. Law of the jungle - you don't do it.

Fair enough Prescott should have had self control, but at that speed, and with the North Ireland related violence lately, self control could mean death.

"Turning the other cheek" is a radical proposal and is totally outside human nature. In the "christian" west it tends to be forgotten how much of a concious choice to be vulnerable it is. He's only human.

------------------
I am the walrus!.... er, no hang on....

A fair dinkum laughing Hyena!