View Single Post
Old 04-10-2001, 03:00 AM   #12
Yorick
Very Mad Bird

Quote:
Originally posted by Leonis:
I used my bro-in-law's computer to check out the hype - he himself had hoarded hundereds of songs and has maybe bought 6 music CD's in his life (man did he cop it from me!) there are people with thousands of songs - so that is individuals taking thousands of dollars, not on or two then buying the album.

And there are hundreds of people with those thousands of songs (no i am not kidding, i've seen it) you can't tell me that they're going to go out and buy all of them or even a quater.

On the other hand my own drummer only downloads Pearl Jam live stuff - the 'official bootlegs' (what a term) and when he can afford it does get the CDs (He's up to about 16 of those damn things (on top of studio albums)- how can one man have so much jam?)

So i'm thinking good and bad but leaning towards bad *because* we will get generations groing up where they don't have to pay for music, movies, software, etc.. it will be part of their lifestyle and therefore those arts and sciences affected will degenerate because of little or no income.

Metallica is not worried about themselves, or even limp bizkit, they are worried about muso's who haven't got off the ground yet, or even become muso's yet.

I'm rambling so i'll stop.
ps: no i don't own a computer, currently borrowing my kind brother's (kinda crappy though)
pps: like the aliteration in the opening?

Kinda crappy eh? At least it's got some music muscle motorbikeface. More moolah makes my music more makable, malleable, manipulatable, manouverable and memorable..... you membernose.

I mentioned in the other thread on this topic about how when I was in Berlin hundreds of Turkish youths would spend all evening downloading songs from Napster and swap between themselves. The loss of sales is enormous. Just because YOU may be dilligent and honest doesn't mean others are.

In regard to "music is meant to be shared", I quite believe you are wrong. Music is a gift from the creator to the listener. Before recordings the only way to hear the creators work as intended, was to be in the presense of them. This required travel time and expenses, payment for other performers to achieve the intention and the means to keep the said creator alive.

In other words money money money. NOTHING IN THIS WORLD IS FREE if you get given something for free it is because another person has decided not to be compensated for their own investment - such as the music I've passed on to Moiraine and others. The personal and financial cost to me to create such music (and the others involved) is enormous. Years, dollars, emotions. Twenty dollars hardly compensates, yet I deemed it a gift to those that asked. Better for it to be heard than not - especially by those so appreciative.

If someone 'stole' my work though I would consider it the gravest of insults.

------------------
O.K..... what do I do now?

A fair dinkum laughing Hyena!