View Single Post
Old 04-01-2001, 04:09 AM   #18
Epona
Zartan

Moridin,
Glad you had a good time. I agree with you about pub closing times, but take my word for it, not ALL pubs close at 11 - some have a 'lock in' where they close all the curtains, lock the doors to make it look like the pub is closed, but continue serving drinks. When you want to leave you have to ask the bartender to let you out, and no new customers are allowed in. You just have to know which pubs!! This is of course completely illegal and there are tough penalties for landlords who get raided by the police after hours (including losing their license), so not many pubs take the risk. I have on occasion been until 5am in a 'lock-in' and still with no sign that the bar would stop serving.

It's a bit of a nuisance about the foot & mouth thing - the 'official' line is that the countryside is not closed, that most tourist attractions are open, and that you can still go walking as long as you don't go into fields where livestock are kept etc. But in reality, this is just propaganda - most footpaths are closed, and loads of tourist attractions have not been open for weeks, even in unaffected areas. (Epona speaking in a personal capacity only! Wouldn't want to go losing my job now, would I!)

I personally love travel, although I have not had as much opportunity to as I would like, being a bit short of cash and only with limited leave from work, *sigh*

I do like to get away to see other cultures and people as much as I can though. And crossing your first major road in a new country is always a good test of how well you can adapt to other cultures! My most scary experience with traffic was in Cairo - talk about gridlock! In Britain, we are used to pedestrian crossings where the traffic actually stops - it comes as a bit of a shock when you first travel to countries (most that I have been to) where stopping at a pedestrian crossing is kind of optional for drivers! Anyway, the only way to get across the road in Cairo is to just step out into the traffic. This is how Egyptians do it, you just have to learn not to be scared stepping out into six lanes of traffic. The average traffic speed in central Cairo is about 4 miles per hour, so you are at no risk of being hit, most of the time at intersections no traffic moves for ages anyway, the cars sort of weave in and out of each other and so do the pedestrians!

I really loved Egypt btw - I don't think I have ever come across more friendly, welcoming people - I would really recommend visiting.

------------------

Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so.

Epona of The Laughing Hyenas.