Thread: Half-Life
View Single Post
Old 09-18-2006, 11:53 AM   #1
pritchke
Bastet - Egyptian Cat Goddess

It is one of those games that I have never played but was always meaning to. I saw Half-Life Anthology for under $15 and said I guess I will give it a try. I have to say I am quit impressed and I can see why it is considered a classic. The graphics today are still OK. Not as crisp as today's games but they do the job. Where half-life shines is in the little things, for example a room flooded with water with a live wire on the floor. If you go in you will be electrocuted so how can you enter. After pondering, you start to think will maybe, I can turn off the water, that won't do any good because the room will still be flooded, if only there was a switch, Ding!! Ding!! Ding!! Turn of the switch and enter the room. It is the detailed things like this that is making me see why this is such a great game. The problems are often very real, and while the solution is simple it takes a little getting used to as most games don't play with such realism. The story so far is done quite well and most characters seem to say something that enhance that.

I have played Halo and Halo 2 and while the vehicles are fun and the graphics are nice these little subtleties that make the original Half-Life so great are missing. I can't comment on Half-Life 2 but so far this id the best 3rd person shooter I have played.

[ 09-19-2006, 10:30 AM: Message edited by: pritchke ]
pritchke is offline   Reply With Quote