Thread: Arcanum
View Single Post
Old 10-17-2002, 05:06 PM   #10
Luvian
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by flibulzbuth:
For what i remember (i played the game last year), i don't agree with you.

a)There's tons of side-quest, forcefully that gets repetitive but you don't have to do them. I don't remember doing much quests in the western magical kingdom, for exemple. Just one big thing for the main storyline and another to become a master diplomat. I never bothered about investigating the murders etc...

b)The fact that you don't know much about the menace described by the gnome at the crash site and that you have to LEAD the investigation is one thing that puts this game apart from the others. No more feeding of the scenario with the baby spoon. Events are not triggered after you finish cleaning dungeon a, then dungeon b (with thougher monsters, but you're thougher so it doesn't change a dang thing!)... you have to investigate, explore for hints and follow them until you finally understand what you face and later what you should do to counter it.

c) non-linearity is mostly in the main quest. You can team with whatever side you want (at least 3, as far as i know) and there is almost always more than
one way to solve key problems. The way you approached Bill Gates (Gile Bates?) was very different from what i did... it took me a lot more time.
a) There is not that many quests, and they are all fetch type, or go kill that guy type. And there is not tons of them. WHen I got bored with the game I looked at a walkthrought to see if the optional quests would get better, but no, they are all very simple and boring until the end of the game, and there are not that many of them either.

b) The main quest suck. Just take a look at P. Schuyer and Sons. Ok, so they are a 500 years old company. You go there, and the mian room is a dinner table and a clerk... ok, nice shop. The other 2 rooms are a bedroom and a room with another big dinner table. So you go down in the cellar, and there is tons of rats, even thought the guys that "lives" there pass that area many times a day.

You go down another level, and you get in a small crypt with human zombies, even thought it is a dwarf crypt. What? They imported human zombies too? You kill those zombies and go down another level. So far the crypt is not that bad, beside the humans zombies and the rats at the entrance.

But then you get to the "construction room" where apparently dwarf zombie are making fine quality jewerly. yes, zombie are making masterwork stuff. At least that's what I think they are doing, as it only looked like a bunch of zombies where randomly moving in a room with lots of empty tables.

Then you get to the "main room" and encounter the 3 mages. Apparently they live in that building, but there is no beds, chairs, or anything one need to lives somewhere. And the main room is empty beside 3 classer and the body of their father, who has the only chair in the place.

And why are they all standing there like morons? Do they do that all day long? Why don't they have chairs to sit down? Why do they spend their lives holed up down there? For the little money they get out of their shop? What do they do with it?

And then you talk to them, and they offer you to let you go if you shut up. Yes, that's right. Those heartless necromancers who killed any merchants or clients of them who ever saw them, would let you go... ok...

I could do a more realistic dungeon than that. The whole world is like that. You go see the king of that crumbling kingdom, and the first thing he do is send you to get his tax money, wich happen to be gold ingots bars. You are stranger, and he trust you with that. I can understand why his kingdom is like that now...

c) The main quests is linear, there is only one goal and doing the main quest in order is the only way to learn about what need to be done.

Sure, you can do the quest in a good or evil way, and there is usually more than one way to solve a quest, but you still have only one goal in the game.