Thread: Arcanum
View Single Post
Old 10-17-2002, 04:42 PM   #9
flibulzbuth
Drow Warrior

For what i remember (i played the game last year), i don't agree with you.

a)There's tons of side-quest, forcefully that gets repetitive but you don't have to do them. I don't remember doing much quests in the western magical kingdom, for exemple. Just one big thing for the main storyline and another to become a master diplomat. I never bothered about investigating the murders etc...

b)The fact that you don't know much about the menace described by the gnome at the crash site and that you have to LEAD the investigation is one thing that puts this game apart from the others. No more feeding of the scenario with the baby spoon. Events are not triggered after you finish cleaning dungeon a, then dungeon b (with thougher monsters, but you're thougher so it doesn't change a dang thing!)... you have to investigate, explore for hints and follow them until you finally understand what you face and later what you should do to counter it.

c) non-linearity is mostly in the main quest. You can team with whatever side you want (at least 3, as far as i know) and there is almost always more than one way to solve key problems. The way you approached Bill Gates (Gile Bates?) was very different from what i did... it took me a lot more time.