For my second run through BG 2, I think I'm going to try the following party:
Me (a Mage)
Keldorn
Mazzy
Aerie
Jan Jansen
Valygar (swapped for Imoen later)

Hi Ranger!

Despite how much I like Jan's personality, he's redundant once you get Imoen back. I'd drop him before leaving for Spellhold. He is the best thief in the game, but Imoen is sufficient for everything you need to do.

Aerie by herself is more enough cleric for the whole game. (Probably more than enough: I've done it with just Jaheira for a cleric.)

Since you know the magic system pretty well by now, do consider playing a Sorcerer. They become very, very powerful once they can cast "Project Image".

Haer'Dalis is a typical Blade. I played one and really enjoyed it. If you have ToB, he'll become one of the most powerful and valuable members of your party. In SoA he's merely a poor man's fighter-mage. That's still not something to sneeze at, though: a fighter-mage is one of the most powerful combos in all of D&D. He is a good pick-pocket, and so will augment Imoen's limited thieving skills. With ToB and many levels, his bard-song will become amazing... until then, well, let's just say you've probably been spoiled by how good bard-songs are in IWD/HoW. You can have fun with him in your party, but you will have to micro-manage him. You may have more fun micro-managing your mages.

Overall, it looks like a very good group.

-- Nifft
Nifft the Nimble is offline   Reply With Quote