View Single Post
Old 01-23-2003, 12:39 PM   #120
Cyril Darkcloud
Lord Soth

For Dantes

Intense emotions are written across the faces of the two gnomes that are conscious – gratitude, relief, terror and sadness mingle with a deep concern for their wounded and delirious companion. Even to the untrained eye it is clear that death will soon claim the gnome if his condition cannot be improved. Leaving his fellow to tend to their wounded friend, one of the gnomes walk to where Dantes stands.

Grateful to be addressed in a dialect of his own language he smiles. “My thanks,” he says simply. “I did not enjoy the thought of being on the menu of those creatures. Or worse,” his eyes sparkle with a flash of gnomish humor, “being a slave who becomes a menu item.” In spite of his humor, the gnome shudders at the thought. “We came ......” his voice trails off with emotion and he pauses.

“..... we came to seek the aid of Adalon,” his voice is hoarse and low as he points in the direction of the fallen dragon. “Long has the great dragon been the guardian and protector of those who have not surrendered to the shadows. But the shadows have grown dark once more and things have begun to move, things like those that moved within these tunnels before - in the time of the One that Mods.” His eyes grow wide as he continues, “The drow – even the drow have been slaughtered! News of the destruction of their city reached us some days ago and we came to seek the wisdom and protection of mighty Adalon .....” Again he stops. “...... but our protector is dead ......”

“We were stunned to find the ice of her breath lining the walls and the wards to her lair exploded. Seeing signs of battle we made our way quietly into the chamber where she receives visitors only to ..... only ...... only to find her dead ........” Again he falls silent. “I do not know how long we stood there just looking. Too stunned we were even to move. As we turned to make our way home we heard the approach of the grimlocks and hid ourselves, but they had a beast of shadow with them, a hound who marked our scent .....” He exhales a deep and slow breath, “The rest of the story, I believe you know.”

He extends his hand to the mage, “I am called Cedrick.” Pointing to his fellows, he adds, “And that is Kellor. Dellon, as you can see, does not fare so well.”