View Single Post
Old 09-07-2001, 04:02 PM   #1
Drawde1
The Magister

One of the things I'm working on for BG2, apart from the spell effects mod (which I'll e-mail to TeamBG or similar fairly soon) is improved (not more powerful, just more interesting) summoning spells, so you get a greater variety of summoned creatures - things like goblins, jellies, lizardmen, ghouls etc. One of the creatures I decided to add to Monster Summoning 1,just as a joke, was the Vorpal Squirrel (vorsquir.cre). (No idea why this is in BG2, presumably a Bioware employee added it as a joke) I assumed that since it only has 2HP according to Infinity Explorer, it wouldn't do much.. well, having just started Chapter 8 (ToB) I'm fighting a battle with some Fire Giants and their minions, and had my thief-mage cast Monster Summoning.. 5 Vorpal Squirrels appeared and they proceeded to demolish the entire army, giants and all! They are permanently hasted, have about 4 attacks per round doing 20-25 damage, and knock enemies unconscious when they hit them. Despite only having 2HP, only two of them died in the battle.
It was absolutely hilarious, seeing the towering giants decimated by the killer squirrel horde.
I think I'd better remove them from Monster Summoning I, they're a bit too powerful for a Level 3 spell.. perhaps create a level-8 or so Vorpal Squirrel Summoning spell?