/
/
/
/
/
/
/
/
Ok, I found the very easiest way to fight beholders, but you have to be a mage. Area affection spells such as cloudkill and acid cloud work WONDERS to kill beholders. Cast the spells at the edge of the room (where they can't see you) and invisible yourself. The AI in the game sucks, the beholders will just sit in the room and take damage, as long as they don't have a opponent to chase (you are invisible) they will stay there.
Same with many other foes, cloudkills and acid clouds work great for room and group fighting as long as you can invisible and hang out outside viewing range. If you are visible the computer AI can have the enemy chase you down, if you are invisible they don't have a foe to chase, so just stand there in the cloud taking damage.
Usually 2 clouds or such is plenty to clear out a room of beholders. I cleared the entire dungeon of beholders and such using only my 1 mage who was loaded up with cloud area spells and invisiblilty spells.
Cast, invisible. After cloud clears and still opponents, cast again, invisible. You won't have ANY trouble with beholders at all. Best way to kill a beholder, don't get close to it LOL. A thief/mage rocks also, casts then hides in shadows. You dont' even have to break a sweat.