Thread: Sorcerer?
View Single Post
Old 03-31-2001, 11:15 AM   #7
Legolas the Elven Archer

I agree the manual doesn't cover the classes as well as it should.I hope the following information will help.

The sorcerer uses the same spells as every other wizards. However, a sorcerer can't learn spells from scrolls and he hasn't got the ability to memorize spells.
A sorcerer gets to pick new spells as he advances in level. He also gets to cast more spells per day.
Each day, a sorcerer can cast a fixed number of level 1, 2, etc. spells. For example, a certain sorcerer knows WEB and VOCALISE and can cast three lvl 2 spells a day. As long as he hasn't used up all three spells he is allowed to cast, he may cast either spell whenever he wants to.
An ordinary mage would have to chose how many VOCALISE and how many WEB spells he wants to be able to use the next day, while the sorcerer gets to pick his spells on the spot.
This means that a sorcerer can pick the best spells he has at any time, though a mage has a much wider arsenal of spells. While a sorcerer is more flexible in battle, I prefer a mage, as a mage can deal with more kinds of situation if you pick his spells well. I know there are people out there who disagree with me, but this is simply my opinion on the matter.

The sorcerer's amount of spells he may use during a day is influenced by magic items such as the ring of wizardry just as with any other mage.

I think this should clears things up for you. If there are still some things not perfectly clear, just try out the sorcerer a while longer and you'll find out what a sorcerer can and can't. You could also play amage and compare the two classes.