View Single Post
Old 03-21-2001, 09:57 PM   #24
Desuma_Malevois

Quote:
Originally posted by Throntar:
Desuma...I'm confused as to how you can backstab with a Quarterstaff. I've tried it with Nalia (Mage/Thief) and the Staff of the Magi. I get an error saying something like, "Invalid weapon type for backstab" or something similar. Do you have the BG2 patch installed? Maybe that's a bug that got fixed with the patch?

Anyhow...Avenger...I wouldn't waste my time on a Cleric/Thief combo as there are plenty of thieves in the game. Viconia is a good Cleric (if you can tolerate her evil alignment and crappy strength), and Anomen can become a pretty good Cleric. If you want to play a Cleric class though, I'd go with either Berserker/Cleric or Ranger/Cleric. Berserkers get some good bonuses with their rage capability (immune to imprisonment, charm, hold, etc.) and a fighter's THAC0. Ranger/Clerics also get a good THAC0 *and* they have access to all Druid spells as well as all Cleric spells. That means your Cleric can use Ironskins, Insect Swarm (best anti-spellcaster spell in the game) and summon Fire Elemental. Just my HO.

Yes, I have the patched installed, but just possibly Nalia's backstab didn't work because the staff of the magi is only usable by magic-users. Try it with a regular staff and see if it works for you.

I chose the cleric/thief combo because I wanted to try something a little unusual and I loooooove to backstab; also, I like the idea of my character "powering up" with DUHM or Righteous Magic before getting off his backstab.