Thread: Starting Stats
View Single Post
Old 03-12-2001, 07:55 AM   #3
Epona
Zartan

I am sure that there are others who can explain better than I can, but here goes:

All the initial stats are based on imaginary dice rolls (in a pen & paper RPG you have several varying shape dice to do this - a 4 sided, a 6 sided, 10 sided, 20 sided etc.). The computer simulates this, so each stat rolled is random.

The numbers which any stat can be between varies according to race and class. For example: Humans can have a max of 18 in any stat, and a minimum of 3.

So the initial 'roll' randomly generates a number between 3 and 18 for each stat. This is also adjusted for class of character - a Bard must have Charisma of minimum 15 for example, so the Charisma stat will never start out below 15.

The best method I find for starting a character is to keep rerolling your stats until you get a good high score overall. 90 is IMO a good roll. Then adjust the stat for each attribute using the + and - buttons so that if you have a fighter you put more on strength and less on wisdom.

Elves can have 19 max dexterity, but only 17 constitution. Bear the different race modifiers in mind when choosing your race & class.

Final point for Fighters:
The Strength stat is important. For Fighters put it at 18. You will then get a second number (eg. 18/93 or 18/21) This only happens for the Fighter class (single or multi). The higher the second number the better (18/00 is the best you can get). You get more bonuses to damage when you hit an enemy if you have a high second number, and be able to carry more loot. If you roll what seem like really good stats but when you put your strength up to 18 you only get 18/05, then reroll until you also get a high second number. This takes a bit of fiddling about, but it is worth persisting to get good stats.

------------------

Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so.