View Single Post
Old 02-03-2001, 06:29 PM   #53
Lord of Alcohol
Xanathar Thieves Guild

Hello Morraine, while I'm not into the religious discussion I have some thoughts on why our countries are having trouble in the Balkans/Former Yugoslavia. I think we are leary of getting ourselves into a situation where nobody is in charge of the countries in question. When things stabalise a bit I'm sure European and American diplomats will make a more concerted effort to help. Its like trying to break up a fight between two brothers. They both tend to turn on you. A good example of this was our excursion into Somalia, with all the various "Warlords" fighting each other and us trying to help but losing men instead. We tried to help straighten things out but there was just too much chaos. The same could be said when we went into Lebanon in 1982 and 246 of my fellow Marines paid the price in one day. What we tried to do didnt help. So what I guess I'm saying is that both our countries dont want to lose good men for nothing. And as Fighter/Thief said we are trying to get along with Russia and landing a Marine division or the 82nd Airborne in the area would likely put us right back up to Cold War tensions, which is better left in the past. Along with the other problems I previously pointed out. I know you have good intentions but I dont think anyone really knows for sure what to do so they wait. I think I may catch some hell for this post so in advance I'm sorry if somebody takes any offense to what I've said