View Single Post
Old 02-05-2001, 06:17 PM   #36
el_kalkylus
Drizzt Do'Urden

Yes Halscion,
I also think the fire elemental is great. In my last game I noticed how useful a fire elemental can be.

I don't see why I should pick a druid-kit instead of the ranger/cleric. I know the druid get the spells faster than a cleric, but on the other hand, the ranger/cleric get ALL druid- AND cleric spells + it has good ac, hp, and THACO, so it can act as a fighter in the beginning. It doesn't take that long to get high enough xp, so that you can cast fire elementals. I am not sure, but I don't think the druid has cleric spells like blade-barrier (this is the best!!) or bolt of glory. The cleric has the spell rightious magic and can turn undead. The ranger/cleric is useful as a fighter in the beginning, and a druid/cleric/fighter later in the game. The avenger will then still just be a druid with some lame mage-spells.

(Sidenote: I used the turn undead ability a lot in my first game, but at my previous/second game I completely forgot about it, because I was playing a kensai/thief that could kill everything himself. That is why I don't think the turn undead ability is that great either.)

The bounty hunter can cast it's special traps 3-5 times a day, but when it is done, it is next to useless in combat. I prefer the backstab over any trap laying. The backstab makes it very easy, because all the powerful mages/liches will already be dead before the fight starts.

As I said before, I prefer a human kensai- or berserker/mage instead of gnomish fighter/illussionist, since I get more spells that way and a better fighter + the special ability.

I have 3 party-members that can cast stoneskin or ironskin. The fighter/thief can turn invisible by a potion, a ring or a spell if it get's too hot. This party is powerful enough to survive the beginning of the game. When they are done dualling, they will be very powerful. This party contains a mediocre thief, a cleric, a druid (almost), 4 mediocre fighters and 2 pure mages. This party should be able to handle every situation. The thief can backstab the most difficult mages, and the druid/cleric/fighter can heal the party members, fight, and cast some good druid/cleric spells. The fighter/mages will be the offensive ones, making a lot of damage to the enemy.