View Single Post
Old 01-10-2001, 09:22 AM   #3
Jaric

I've played BG1 quite a lot, and really hated starting over because I didn't really like the class I was in. I'd like to avoid that problem now that I have BG2. What do you think is the most poweful class in the game (take items etc into account too)

A lot of monsters have magical resistance, and you can just drink a magic resistance potion or have one miscast magic and you're done for. So mage isn't really a good option, I think. It's good if you are only in defense, let others tank and the only thing you do is attack, but overall it's not the best option.

What I tried: I summoned Drizzt, and attacked him with a lvl 21 (well, XP set at 2950000 which means lvl 17-20 dependant on class) kensai, monk, thief, and fighter.

What I noticed:
A thief is bad for fighting, you should only use them for hiding/bstab, but for the rest I think they're only useful for traps/lockpicking.
A kensai (no armor) is a LOT better than a fighter! (?) I spawned both of Drizzt weapons and wielded them as kensai (proficiency in scimitar AND two weapon style); Drizzt went down in no time. Well, no that I think of it, I'm not sure if I tested fighter with some great armor fighting Drizzt...
My monk was awesome, maybe even better than kensai. quivering palm and after that stunning blow, and Drizzt was out cold.

Other guilds seem to be producing MUCH less... but maybe a druid casting entangle, and then killing him with arrows works well too...

My question: have some of you guys/gals been doin this in any way? I mean, with your knowledge of all the armor/ weapons, cloak etc in BG2, what do you think is the best class to pick? (For example, if there are a LOT of thief NPC's who want to join me, I shouldn't go thief... or if I get a fine monk in level 2, it would be better not to go for monk since I'd already get one soon in the game...

(btw, when I fight with my kensai with katana's against Drizzt, I die every single time, so if I can't get great weapon somewhere, monk is still the best choice...)