View Single Post
Old 01-02-2001, 01:13 AM   #5
Magness
Quintesson

You've got to remember that a D&D party is nearly always a team effort. Most battles require contributions from most party members.

A straight Fighter class character is about as simple as it gets. Tank'em up (i.e. lots of AC-lowering items armor, shields, etc.) and give the best weapons. Then go forth and slay everything in your path.

GW is correct about proper character creation. A kick-ass fighter needs very high STR, DEX, and CON values.

The real key to succesful combat in BG2 (and any other AD&D game) is not just the proper creation of the player's character, but proper construction and management of the entire party. You need a proper mix of physical and magical skills.

For example, assuming a party of 6 characters...

You should have at least...
2 tanked-up warriors skilled in melee combat
1 mage
1 thief
1 cleric or druid (the "medic")

I like to have my 6th character be a a warrior who is strong in both melee and ranged combat. I like to use this character as a sniper who can join the tanks if required.

Of course, with the various NPCs available, various combinations are possible. Furthermore, with multi and dual class characters, you can fill multiple roles with a single character.

Two examples...

Jan Jansen is a good thief and a very useful secondary mage.

Jahiera is a fighter/druid who can fill the "medic" role, but tanks up well and can join the melee or snipe with a sling with the best of them.

I realize that I went a little off-topic....