View Single Post
Old 12-06-2000, 08:39 AM   #19
Mr. Underhill
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Actually, alot of magical refrerencies are occult and even alchemical, i'm certainly no practioner but i studie the occult and have long been interested in magic. I read alot of very obscure authors, and I know of the Necronomicon it was writen by abdul alhazred suposedly in 730 a.d. but the oldest manuscript is in latin writtin in 1487. A copy later fell into the hands of John Dee and his assistant edward kelly in 1586. It appears to be a treatise on summoning the "old ones" or "inlightened" butit's writtin mostly in code it is a gnostic alchimical text, pretty much dealing with conscious alteration or expansive. The western occult tradition shares much of it's hidden ideas with hindu and bhudist yoga, tranta(Sex Magic), and middle eastern mysticsm like sufism. Hermetic ritual (spells) are for the most part coded poetry passing on the old gnostic and mystic traditions of the northern africa (Death/Rebirth cults like the Phaoroes Of egypt)th middle east and of far-eastern traditions. It was hiddin in these rituals for the iniate to find, to understand, to experience. Mind altering, Brain Change, or as more modern proponents of the what could be called a "mind revolution" that started with people like tim leary, Alan watts, John C. lilly and aldous Huxley would cal it Meta-programming. But now this is just way of the subject of Baldur's gate And DnD, I apologise for getting so far of subject.