View Single Post
Old 08-03-2002, 08:42 PM   #10
Gimli
Emerald Dragon

As a matter of taste I don't mind training so much, but I do think it's a little silly to be able to get to 100 in a skill at a low level by doing the same thing over and over for say an hour. The more I think of it it's kind of a shame that this game encourages that - I wish there had been less emphasis on repetition as the means to raise skills and more on leveling. It somehow seems like better, purer roleplaying that way. I'm sure alot of you here have been pen and paper, D+D gamers in the past. Can you imagine telling the DM the same thing over and over for 2 hours to max out a skill? But if you are going for power builds then training is the best option in Wizardry, but in a way it encourages bad roleplaying that way. Even with melee, the same thing, would you really want to keep a foe alive for an hour by healing it for example to keep taking swings at it? Would a couple hundred swings at the same thing really max out skill in a certain weapon? But those are the rules, I'm not going to judge but I am enjoying NWN (which albeit has some different possible experience exploits) where your mastery comes through time and levels only.