View Single Post
Old 02-28-2002, 10:07 AM   #2
Jem
Zhentarim Guard

Sleipnir -

The only problem that I see with your party is that a mage can't cast healing spells. A Valkyrie and a Ranger can learn them, but not until level 5. Bishops, OTOH, take a little longer to level up but have much more versatility in spells they can learn. I'd strongly recommend trading in the Faerie mage for a Faerie Bishop. Also -- regardless of which class you take, make sure you save a few of your spell picks along the way so you can grab as many 7th level spells as you can when they become available to you.

I don't think the Ranger/Bard/Gadgeteer is overkill for several reasons: 1) with the Ranger you won't have to turn searchmode on so you won't be surprised by monsters as often, 2)with all of the great instruments/bard-only equipment it would be a shame not to have a bard, and 3) there are too many neat gadgets available not to play with a gadgeteer at least once. A word of caution, though: he will be limited in the number and power of gadgets available him at least until 1/3 of the way through the game so he doesn't come into his own as early as the bard.

Actually, with the exception of your fighter and mage, your party looks very much like my own first. I decided not to take a Fighter, however, and chose to bring along two bishops for spell-power (having each focus on two schools). With the Valk and Ranger in the Center of my line-up, I put the bard and gadgeteer on the flanks and the two bishops in the rear and had no problem getting through the game. Sure, I lost a few people but I had fewer than 15 resurrections throughout the game and 5 of those came at the very end of the game in a single HUGE battle.

You'll get a lot of advice one way or the other. My advice is to pick characters and classes you will have fun with -- it might not be as easy to beat the game as with other configurations but so what? Having fun is much more important than having the "perfect party" as determined by anyone other than yourself.

Good luck!

P.S. Nice nick -- I love the Norse mythos

--- Edit ---

I forgot to address a couple of your concerns.

First: Critical strike isn't that big a deal, IMO. With the ranger you can get ranged criticals and even with no Samurai/Monk/Ninja you can still get crits every so often (My gadgeteer got one this morning when he was meleeing a nasty - did 18 pts. of damage to a creature with 444 and killed him with a crit).

Second: Yes, you will be able to use almost all of the equipment and items you encounter. To the point you'll be torn between which ones to choose.

Third: If you want a thief, you can always recruit one of the first NPCs you encounter once you reach Arnika. He won't go everywhere with you (at least, not voluntarily) but he's good at the early game.

As for taking NPCs -- at least let them join long enough to get their equipment, even if you don't keep them. It's also a good way to find out a little about the world because each of them has a comment to say as you enter each area. Some are better than others but regardless, it does give you an opportunity to play with some of the classes you don't have in your party.

I hope this helps clarify things for you.

[ 02-28-2002: Message edited by: Jem ]