Thread: On the level
View Single Post
Old 07-14-2005, 08:34 PM   #12
robertthebard
Xanathar Thieves Guild

Quote:
Originally posted by CerebroDragon:
@ J'aran

Whilst I tentatively agree with you that it would be impossible with a level one character to make head way into Hordes (if the the first and second battles are anything to go by...) I'd be cautious in saying that it was absolutely impossible, as miracles in the form of truly imaginative gamers can find methods for success. If there was a way to start at level one, I'm sure there would be those insane enough to try.

Take Midget Gems for example - he completed Icewind Dale without levelling up at all for the entire game - with level one characters!
Sure, obviously the two games' dynamics are much different in scope with NWN being generally less strategic. (IWD being party based) It was still some feat.
Thus there's bound to be a similar NWN/Hordes story on the net somewhere! [img]smile.gif[/img]

Geez Wellard, you still haven't spelt out why you don't like being level one so much. Hopefully its more than just power and status issues at play. [img]tongue.gif[/img]

I mean, for me its one of those few moments in a game where you have to pay complete attention to what your character is doing at all times. I love that uncertainty of what a level one character can achieve without getting killed. It creates tension, doubt and that old school RPG feeling of anticipation of challenges to come.

Those familiar with taking a level one party through the streets of skara brae and into the wine cellar in Bard's Tale for the first time will know what I mean! [img]smile.gif[/img]
Hordes spoiler, if you've never started the game...
I don't see any powergaming way to take a lvl one, naked armed with a dagger given to you by the engine, which has a minus to dmg and survive the drow thief in your room. Assuming you did, the battle on the first floor would kill you for sure, even though you have a chance for slightly better gear. If you haven't played a game, note that. The thief in your room is capable of facing a lvl 15 char. Depending on char class, you could be dead the first time the thief hits you, and since the only ac mod you have is dex at that point, at lvl one, anyway, good luck, let me know how that works out for ya'.
Oh, side note: I read some of those all the way through, as lvl one posts over on the boards there. Admirable, really, but there was a party. At the beginning of Hordes, you are a party of one.
robertthebard is offline   Reply With Quote