View Single Post
Old 04-03-2005, 08:45 AM   #2
robertthebard
Xanathar Thieves Guild

Take the plunge, especially if your going to be plunging into melee. RDD, in adition to wings, gives you a +8 to str, and adds a +2 to const, int and cha, as you lvl up. The str bonuses are split 2, 2, and 4, as you lvl up to 10 in RDD. You also gain a natural ac bonus due to draconic skin, immunity to fire, a fire breath weapon, one time per day, and a hit die increase of +10, which will further increase after lvl 10. This is the easiest ever route to Devastating Critical, which gets mixed reviews from the community, but is really cool, if you don't mind the possibility of killing something in one hit, providing it's not immune to critical hits.
I don't mean to sound biased or anything, but bards are really cool to play, which I never found to be the case in either of the BG games. As for other henchmen, Tomi Undergallows, in the Hall of Justice, is your go to guy for traps etc. You just can't beat a halfling rogue, for a rogue, anyway.
As for spells, I always take cloud of bewilderment, which is a lvl 2 spell, IIRC, and is great for groups of enemies. If you can remember to get past forgetting defensive spells, Ghostly Visage, and Ethereal Visage are also must haves for bards that can actually cast them. I tend to stop bard lvls at 5 or 6, so never get to Ethereal visage.
Personal preference, lose the crossbow, and find a good long/short bow. There is a really cool short bow for bards, Lilting Note, which will give a +8? to perform. Gotta love the Bard song. Melee is totally a char thing, but Kukris are very effective, and there are several really good ones available early on. Note: you will need the exotic weapon feat to use them.
Sounds like your playing evil, so I'd also recommend going Assassin. Two reasons here, first being it will allow you to dump points into trap skills, and locks, and second, there is nothing like a failed save vs paralysis to allow you to taunt an enemy before you actually deliver the killing blow. Death attacks also add dmg as you go, so it's worth while, unless your enemy is immune to sneak attacks.
robertthebard is offline   Reply With Quote