View Single Post
Old 01-25-2005, 11:25 AM   #1
Wyvern
Ironworks Moderator

We've discussed rpgs in general off and on in numerous threads on this board.

We've have a few good long threads on what we would like to see in Bradley's
next game.

Responding to Bungleau's post in another thread just made me want to have a place to create a list of the games I have enjoyed or disliked with or without explanation. Such a list (incomplete as it will no doubt be) reflects my own preferences and is not a "I'm right, you're wrong" challenge should you disagree. I'm very glad that people like different things in their CRPGs - that adds variety and (hopefully) stimulus for the genre in general.

Not in any order:

Many of the Infocom games.

Asylum - PC and Nintendo versions - PC version was more of a challenge, the graphics were horrible and it was a lot of fun!

Early Wizardry -
I personally got ticked off with Wizardry in Wiz 6. I spent two months writing a very thorough (including ascii maps) walkthru for that game and didn't even bother to look at Wiz 7 when it came out. My objection was the game was turning into a "girlie magazine". That probably was excellent for their target audience but I didn't like it.

Crimson Crown

Some of the Ultima series - I rather dislike Lord British's whole Avatar routine which may have been partially influenced by having talked to him in private (online chat).

Bard's Tale

M&M - the earlier ones were the best for me. M&M 6 totally crashed on my machine, completely unrecoverable twice starting from scratch. I did play 7 and 8 - don't think I ever finished either. I tend to loose interest when they throw in the sci-fi bits at the end.

Below the Root - fun game! I do wish someone would take it and update it to new computers.

Magic Candle - they attempted to include a log to handle all the information that one collected while exploring. It was an awful tool in itself but gave rise to simplier more efficient quest logs in later games.

Diablo - yes, it was terribly repetitious but I liked it anyways and I replayed it quite often too.

Daggerfall - or whichever one that was the first in that series. The sequels got too involved in these terrifically large cities and random dungeons that were gigantic - every bit as large and complex as the quest dungeons. In the sequels I pretty much gave up playing the game and played to get better armor, weapons and skills. I got tired of having too many people to talk to and then try to remember what it was they said.

Darkstone - don't think I ever finished it successfully but I had fun playing it.

Phantasy - I can picture some of the monsters and stuff but really remember very little about the games at this point.

Wasteland - enjoyed that so much more than Fallout.

Stellar 7 - oh dear - your party were just dots on the map when in the space stations but it was a fun game!

StarFlight - Jack and I spent so many hours exploring and cataloging the planets. What an effort that was!

DragonWars

Faery Tale Adventure

There were many others that I played - I don't recall them all.

I'm not going to bother with the list of CRPGs I have played and didn't like at this point. Some on that list will be there because they mix fantasy with sci-fi and I don't like my genre mixed. Some would be included because way too many options were thrown at my character. I don't mind having options but when some of the options that are given you are not in keeping with where your character is in their development - I don't find that fun, I find that confusing and frustrating. I tend to like a game that is fairly straight foreward (linear) in over all plan while allowing you a lot of freedom within that structure.

Now - Off to the real world!
Wyvern is offline   Reply With Quote