View Single Post
Old 07-01-2004, 10:29 PM   #7
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

Bees, I've got good news, and bad news for you.

The good news: I just saved a bundle on my insurance.

The bad news: Your computer appears to be sicker than a dead dog.

There's good news behind that, though: it's curable.

You've got spyware and potentially viruses running rampant. Specifically...

...bargains
...msbb
...soundman*
...khooker

are bad news. You don't want them there, with the possible exception of Soundman, which is related to RealPlayer somehow. Those things could be the source of your problems.

So what to do? Well, the first thing is to get protected. You can download (for free!) the following items:

1. Spybot Search & Destroy -- install it, run it, and have it clean up what it finds. You don't need no stinking spyware...

2.Ad Aware -- install it, run it, and have it clean up what it finds. Between it and Spybot, they get 'most everything.

3. HijackThis -- Run it and look at the results. It looks for anomalies -- things that don't seem quite right. It will identify things that are okay as well as things that are bad. Don't immediately have it fix what it finds -- only remove something if you've clearly identified it as a baddie. You can post parts of your log here, or over at spywareinfo -- they'll give you input on what you should get rid of.

Now, as far as seeing what versions of DirectX and vid card drivers you've got, go to Start, Run and enter "dxdiag" (without quotes) and hit return. This is the DirectX diagnostic tool, and on the video card tab, it will answer all these questions.

Let's take it from there and see what happens next. I'm going to be out on vacation next week with limited access, but I will try to dial in periodically to see if I can assist.

Good luck. Let's knock 'em down... [img]smile.gif[/img]
-+-+-+
Give 'em a hug one more time. It might be the last.
Bungleau is offline   Reply With Quote