View Single Post
Old 11-20-2004, 12:07 AM   #1
Aerich
Lord Ao

I need one. The manual is SO unhelpful in explaining the pros and cons of different decisions.

Here's the basic information, with questions to follow.

Monks get:

Stunning Blow (lvl 1?) - make opponent save or be stunned
Evasion (lvl 1) - reflex save to completely avoid spell; if failed, save normally
Deflect arrows (2) - +1 AC against missiles
Still Mind (3) - +2 against Enchantment school
Purity of Body (5) - immunity to disease
Wholeness of Body (7) - heal 2x level, once per day
Improved Evasion (9) - half damage on a failed save
Ki Strike (10) - does damage to creatures with damage reduction as if striking with a +1 weapon
Diamond Body (11) - immunity to poison
Diamond Soul (13) - spell resistance of 10 + level
Quivering Palm (15) - kills creature unless Fortitude save is made
Timeless Body (17) - immune to fatigue
Empty Body (19) - enter the ethereal state once a day for every two levels
Perfect Self (20) - damage reduction 20/+1

In addition, monks get extra movement every 3 levels, a +1 AC bonus every 5, Ki Strike improves to +3 by level 16, and they get a faster attacks/round progression than any other class and have the best saving throws.

Ok, now the questions:

I read somewhere that monks lose the benefits of the unarmed bonus if they have a BAB of higher than +1 from another class. Is this true?

What feats work the best for monks? Can you ignore the feats that increase saves? Will Improved Initiative work for a monk's unarmed attacks?

I note that Bozos of Bones recommended Power Attack, Cleave, Dodge, Dirty Fighting, and Improved Critical. Any others that come to mind?

Feel free to post any other monk-related tips or questions about tactics, ability score allotment, multiclassing, skills, feats, etc.