View Single Post
Old 11-06-2003, 11:00 PM   #3
Magness
Quintesson

HOF mode is very tough. You have to develop new tactics. But once you do, it then becomes manageable.

A few tips to start.

1. Your attack spells have not kept pace with the number of HP that the monsters have. Do not expect damaging magics to defeat your enemies.

2. Monsters in HOF have ENORMOUS Fort saves. They rarely fail a Fort Save. However, their Will saves are pretty much the same as in normal mode. Therefore, those spells that require Will saves will be very much more useful.

3. Summoning spells in HOF summon monsters that have the same # of HP as their enemy equivalents. A simple Summon Monster 2 or Summon Animal 2 will summon one bad a$$ monster. Summons are important, but you do not need to think of them as your fighting force, only your cannon fodder to even the odds.

Hodmimir, I have very little experience with such a small party in normal mode and none in HOF mode. However, I have beaten HOF with a balanced party (1 pally, 1 ftr/barb, 1 ranger-archer, 1 ftr/rogue, 1 cleric, 1 sorc).

I just looked back at the exact composition of your party. I don't want to say that you're toast. But with basically 2 deep gnome clsics and a human sorceror, you have very little tanking power. And because the BG is a deep gnome, any attempt to take fighter levels is gonna get the 20% favored class penalty.

You, good sir, have a very tough path ahead of you.

I'd suggest that you read the following thread on HOW tactics. However, the thread probably assumes that you have a somewhat larger party than you do. That said, there is a lot of HOF tactics discussed in that thread. (My posts in that thread are under the handle "Crucis", my name on the Iplay board.)

I'm fairly certain that HOF can be defeated with a party such as yours. I just don't have any specific suggestions, due to the small size of your party and the class/racial choices of your characters.

Good luck.

[ 11-06-2003, 11:01 PM: Message edited by: Magness ]
Magness is offline   Reply With Quote