View Single Post
Old 05-02-2005, 04:07 PM   #2
ister
Drow Warrior

I think it's a decent idea, and a good way to look at character creation. However, I'd be concerned that it would be hard to use without a constraint on the sum of the values for each character. This means that your advice about sums for each value are difficult to apply without knowing how you subjectively choose to apply numbers to characters.

For instance one person may look at his or her paladin and say "good at melee, good at ranged, some healing, so I'll assign 1.0/1.0/0/0.75/0". Another person may look at the very same paladin and say "can't get more than 2 stars. Will be carrying a shield. Lay on hands not much healing, I'll assign 0.75/0.5/0/0.25/0"

The first person will look at your recommendation and determine "need a secondary ranged, some more melee, and a little more healing", while the second will conclude "need a ranged character, tons more healing, and a fair amount more melee".

In reality either may be right depending on what they're planning to do, but I don't think that the way each of these people assigned their numbers should necessarily lead to the conclusion he or she would reach.

Maybe limit the total for each character to (say) a range of 2 to 3? Would presumably force me to rank my pure thief as .5/.5/0/0/0/1, which seems optimistic. But I suppose that to carry his or her weight a pure class thief better get in some backstabs and be vaguely useful with a bow.
\" Let every nation know, whether it wishes us well or ill, that we shall pay any price, bear any burden, meet any hardship, support any friend, oppose any foe, in order to assure the survival and the success of liberty.\"<br />JFK
ister is offline   Reply With Quote