View Single Post
Old 09-30-2004, 01:41 AM   #10
Aerich
Lord Ao

Yeah, you got the definition of "power gamer" on the first try. [img]smile.gif[/img]

The character I would dual the earliest would be the cleric - forget about mage spells, forget about thief skills, you'll need healing and buff spells, as well as Turn Undead (well-mentioned by NobleNick). You could hold out to lvl 9, but I wouldn't hang on much longer than that, especially as it will be your first full time through the game.

9th level is, IMO, the optimum time to dual if you want a good tank and yet want the abilities of the other classes fairly quickly. Obviously, 13th or higher is the spot for power gamers. At 9th lvl you get: another weapon proficiency point, maxed out HP (only get 3/lvl after lvl 9), and a decent Thac0. With a couple buff spells, good Str, and good magical weapons, the Thac0 differential between lvls 9-13 isn't so terrible. You can also do wonders with weapon specialization and other tricks. My first time through the game I took a Ranger with racial enemy of spectral (incorporeal) undead, and shot my way through the Severed Hand (notable for undead). He maybe missed five shots in the entire (very large) area, each time on a critical miss - I was still hitting enemies on an attack roll of 2 with a level 8-9 ranger.

A cleric gets healing spells to smooth the way (it gets frustrating having to rest after every fight), and gets the spell Find Traps.

Thief, Druid, and Illusionist can all wait for a while - the bard can cover mage spells AND thief skills. You get pick pockets naturally, and you can use an Invisibility potion or spell to scout and Knock to open locks that you can't smash. The only glaring lack is some non-damaging way to detect traps - not so bad in the beginning, but the poison, confusion, paralyzation, and petrifying traps can really get you down (lvl 5 of Dragon's Eye and beyond).

I'd be patient with the F/D and F/I. They are two of the most formidable characters if you don't dual too early. The F/T isn't too shabby either. None of them have skills that you must have if you dual the cleric first - healing is covered by resting, the paladin and the cleric, and essential mage spells (Mirror Image to set off traps) and most thief skills are covered by the bard.

For easy and plentiful experience in the early(ish) part of the game, try the third level of Dragon's Eye. Even better, bump up the difficulty level (at least once you've cleared the level of static monsters) - the monsters on that level come in bunches, are worth 1500 XP apiece (3000 on Insane!), and don't do all that much damage. A couple well-placed spells, good melee troops, and lots of resting = great XP.