Thread: Party help
View Single Post
Old 09-07-2004, 08:06 PM   #3
Gimli
Emerald Dragon

Thanks alot for the reply Nick. I have been reading good things about Bards amping melee types here, but personally I've never had much fun with them in CPRGs (although looking at your sig I can see where you'd take exception to that, lol). So yeah, even if it will mean not having the ultimate power-type party I will skip over Bards - but totally understand if you or anyone else loves them [img]smile.gif[/img]

Definitely I will switch over the Paladin to use large swords instead of great swords now, thanks for the tip (and for giving all of your tips without any too-specific spoilers).

As for the elven chain type of armor, all I would ask specifically about it is whether or not only elves can use it - I am pretty sure now I want to take a Cleric/Mage now but I think only half-elves can take that combo. Also how likely is it for that elven chain to appear?

I am thinking if a half-elf can use the elven chain, I have 4 party members set:

1) Dwarf Fighter (Axe/Axe)
2) Human Paladin (L Sword/Bow)
3) Halfling Fighter/Thief (Dagger/Club/Crossbow)
4) Half-Elf Cleric/Mage (Flail/Mace/Sling)

Now for the last 2 I do think having a Druid would be nice, and I wouldn't mind at all having a "Barbarian Shaman" type of Druid who I start off as a Fighter and then DC over to Druid, so he'd be something like:

5) Human Fighter[9]->Druid[X] (Scimitar/Staff/Sling)

What benefits would I get from waiting until 13th as a Fighter instead of changing over at 13th? More WP slots and some HP? I guess having not played this game before I am a little anxious to get each character "set" into their role early on, but I'm flexible with this guy if the extra Fighter levels will really help him. Also, what do I need stat-wise to dual with way, just an 18 in STR and WIS?

So now I would basically have 3 cleric-y types already, the Paladin, the Cleric/Mage and the Fighter->Druid, so I am hesitant to add another Cleric hybrid into the mix, and also to go with another DC-type.

I was thinking off adding a pure Elven Ranger, which at higher levels and with the HoW rules would actually be a decent caster as well. This would give me the Tracking skill from the get-go for hints on every map, and while he wouldn't be a melee-machine, an Elf with 2 ticks in Bows is basically +4/+2, where a Human with 3 is +3/+3, so he'd be about as good a sniper as I could get (short of a pure Elven Fighter). He could also use great swords to make life easier switching back and forth between the bow and melee and cover that type of weapon instead of the Paladin. So possibly #6 is:

Elf Ranger (G Sword/Bow)

I've read so much about distance weapons owning in this game too and there being alot of good bows, so I have a real itch to somehow put a bow into an elf's hands [img]smile.gif[/img] And while I know the Ranger would not be as strong in cleric spells as a DC Fighter->Cleric, I think he'd hold his own (of course this is purely from looking at the manuals and not having played yet). RP-wise it sits with me better as well.

I am not going to roll them up until Thursday so I'm still very open to more ideas if anyone cares to contribute!