View Single Post
Old 03-15-2005, 03:58 PM   #9
Klutz
Manshoon

I LOVE tank-heavy parties. Even so, I'd consider squeezing a second arcane spellcaster for one reason: Improved Haste. The more Improved Haste casters you have, the quicker your combats will be. Improved Haste is also one of your best anti-Mage spells, since it lets you wear down Stoneskins and/or deal elemental damage via weapons through Stoneskins twice as fast, and the higher rate of attacks makes it more likely that you will keep mages continuously interrupted, even with a single point of elemental damage per hit.

Aerie is my usual secondary arcane caster, but Nalia, Jan, and Haer'Dalis all have their advantages also. (Bards do get level 6 Arcane spells.) The problem is if you want a 4-tank 5-member party, the only way to get 2 arcane casters is with a Fighter/Mage PC or NPC.

Also, with Jaheira in the party I'd lean towards Berserker/Cleric over Ranger/Cleric, simply because Jaheira will already have your Druid spells covered.

If you want to play it safe with alignments (read: don't want Korgan) and want another tank to consider, Mazzy is actually a fantastic tank with 18 dex, great saving throws, short sword proficiency which is perfect for Kundane, and can be specialized in another weapon of your choice by 12th level.

So see if this tank-heavy party looks good to you:

PC (Berserker/Cleric or Ranger/Cleric)
Jaheira
Keldorn
Mazzy
Aerie (Backup arcane caster and can do normal cleric casting while the PC cleric bashes heads)
Imoen

Or, 5-memeber 2-arcane 4-tank:
PC (Fighter/Mage multi or dualclass)
Jaheira
Keldorn
Mazzy
Imoen

* NPC INTERACTION SPOILER *
As for Korgan, as far as I know Aerie is the only NPC he has the potential to get into a lethal conflict with. Odd as it sounds, I've never heard of Korgan and Keldorn going at it. In that party, if I were to add Korgan, I'd actually drop Minsc and keep Jaheira.