View Single Post
Old 08-05-2008, 04:33 PM   #36
Yorick
Very Mad Bird

Arrow Re: Grand Theft Auto inspires Thai murder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaradu View Post
I'm no psychologist, but to me that sounds more like a crazy person who picked up a video game than a sane person who picked up a video game and turned crazy.
Jaradu....That's right, they're always crazy. Whenever someone does a strange antisocial act, it's always because they're completely illogical. Never mind the logic that if a kid immerses themselves in a virtual world where violence is rewarded, it follows that some of the virtual behaviour manifests in reality.

They're always crazy. The whole world is crazy!

(But if the whole world is crazy, and you're not, who's the crazy one?)

Quote:
And who decides how to shape society and what to shape it into? What if some people disagree? How can you force artists to accept responsibility without denying them their right to artistic freedom?
By making them responsible for the effect of their actions.
One can be convicted for inciting a riot.
One can be convicted for planning a robbery others commit.
Where there are direct and provable cause-effect relationships, hand out culpability.
THAT would make people take responsibility for their words.

I mean, there is a current rap group promoting gay-bashing.
If their fans start bashing gays, why shouldn't the group accept some sort of culpability?
The inverse applys. If someone through art influences people to stop littering, make peace not war, forgive, love or take to the streets protesting injustice, the artist is a hero. Why shouldn't the blade cut both ways?

As for determinations - society determines them. ANTI-SOCIAL behaviour is that which harms the society.

http://www.hughwilson.com
Yorick is offline   Reply With Quote