Thread: Am I a Liberal?
View Single Post
Old 05-20-2004, 04:37 PM   #7
Timber Loftis
40th Level Warrior

I'm fiscally conservative and socially liberal. However, I try to overlay ideals with pragmatism. High ideals are often better in theory than in practice.

Cencorship: Against it. But you don't have a right to be heard -- only to speak. And, you don't have the right to annoy the frik outta everyone with it, either -- so I am for limits on the time, place, and manner of speech.

Death Penalty: For it in theory, but not in practice. It's not about the punishment, it's about setting prices for the actions we take and making us pay up when the till is due.

Gun Control: I live in the most tightly-gun-controlled city in the country, and it makes me want to take a quad-50 to the house/office of whoever passed the damned law. I can't even protect my family from home invaders.

Gay Marraige issue: Gays deserve all the rights of any other couple -- except the right to name their union "marriage." The issue of mere nomenclature is to be decided by the people of the state.

War on Terror: I'm for hunting down all terrorists wherever they may be and either bringing them to justice or helping them get to their hundred virgins.

Iraq: I wish we had waited for greater international support and not relied so heavily on the WMD issue before going in. Now that we're there, that's a moot point. Now we are obliged.