View Single Post
Old 05-11-2003, 01:33 AM   #4
Olorin

Breakout Champion Hexxagon Champion
If you haven't done much customizing, then the save (and possibly mpsave) are the only ones you'll really need.

As Pirengle pointed out, the portraits and sounds folders are needed if you are using any custom portraits or sounds--otherwise your character will be wearing the cool mystery man portrait.

You only need the characters folder if you have exported character files (such as pregenerating characters for multi player games), the character files for your saved games are taken from the save folder itself.

If you have downloaded any large mods or patches, it would be good to transfer those too, to save having to try to find them again. If you have any complicated mods like Ease of Use or Tactics that have multiple components, you may want to rerun the installers on your current PC, and write down which parts you have installed (tell the installer to ask about all components both installed and not, you can tell which ones you have already installed because they will have the choice to Uninstall or Leave Alone, while the ones you didn't use will have the choice to Install or Leave Alone).

Finally, you might want to save a copy of your Override folder. If you have only done minor patching to your game, you can just copy this onto your new comp and not need to reinstall the patches. Larger mods, and I believe the Official Patches and FixPack modify other files as well, and need to be reinstalled. If your Override folder has a lot in it, I wouldn't recommend trying to straight copy it over. But you can use it as a reference to your new one and see if you are missing anything you used to have.

[ 05-11-2003, 01:34 AM: Message edited by: Olorin ]
"Many are my names in many countries. Mithrandir among the Elves, Tharkun to the Dwarves; Olorin I was in my youth in the West that is forgotten, in the South Incanus, in the North Gandalf; to the East I go not"

--The Two Towers
Olorin is offline   Reply With Quote