Thread: More spyware
View Single Post
Old 02-18-2005, 06:26 AM   #1
Cerek
Registered Member
Iron Throne Cult

I was browsing the internet last night when I got hit with a very agressive spyware program. A pop-up appeared on my screen asking if I wanted spyware protection (or something to that effect). Naturally, I clicked "NO", but I guess I should have just clicked the "X" instead.

My screen suddenly FILLED with all kinds a pop-up ads. When I finally got through those, I found several icons added to my desktop. Some of them implied they were spyware buster programs, but I didn't open any of them to find out.

My homepage has been changed to "about:blank". My Google Searchbar has been removed and replaced with a different one. When I tried to do a Search, I got a completely different Search Page than I'm used to. It said "Just Find It" at the top (I believe).

I finally just shut the computer off to prevent further infestation. When I turned it on this morning, it went through the same series of pop-ads and added all the icons I removed BACK to my desktop again. Anytime I go into a legitimate site, I automatically get a "Related Search" bar on the side of the screen. "STOPZilla" is the first entry that shows up there.

I didn't have my spyware-buster programs updated on this PC, so I am currently downloading them again. Even though I removed the icons from my desktop, I know the core programs are still there.

So, does anybody know the name of this particalur spyware hell-spawn? I am currently running Spybot:S&D on my system. I will be downloading Adaware, HiJack This and probably a couple of others (please feel free to recommend some you like). But I've learned from experience that spyware THIS agressive usually has to be removed manually. Any help in identifying this program would be appreciated.