View Single Post
Old 01-18-2005, 08:02 PM   #1
Gangrell
Iron Throne Cult

I'll be heading off to college in about 5-6 months and I just wanted to get some info or advice on the courses I'm looking into. So any wisdom from resident IWers would be welcome (Vask, Mel, and others).

I'll be studying literature/creative writing, psychology and computer hardware (or programming). Safe to say I won't have much of a life outside a library. I'm taking on these particular three because I enjoy learning about them, plus if one fails, I can always pick up on another.

For psychology, I've heard that it's really not a solid career field to be a psychologist, because your skills aren't demanded as much and you get little pay as compared to a psychiatrist. I considered taking that up, but I really don't have the motivation to spend twelve years for it.

Literature, I'm trying to become an author (which is kind of hard at the moment while fighting depression), love to read so I'm going to take up literature and/or creative writing along with it. Basicly just a class to help me along the writer's path to improve my vocabulary and use of words. I'm not really sure what other occupation I could gain from this, any ideas are welcome though.

Computer hardware or programming, I'll probably end up taking both (if not, then hardware). I am kind of dodgy in this area because a lot of jobs are being sold out to residents in India for a third or fourth of the pay that's offered in the states, could happen in other countries too, not very certain. But as I've heard it is a career in high demand, this is the one area I plan on getting my doctorate in, so was wondering how many years it would take (I've heard it varies).

Thanks

[ 01-18-2005, 08:06 PM: Message edited by: Gangrell ]