Thread: smoking
View Single Post
Old 12-01-2004, 10:31 AM   #136
Intrepid
Symbol of Cyric

Quote:
Originally posted by wellard:
Smoking on planes is another example. People have been banned from smoking for years yet despite a nervous 12 hour flight people in general accept the situation and the reason for fines if they break the law. The bottom line is more people fly now with smoking bans than before.
Yes but you can't attribute that to banned smoking, echonomic conditions have changed over time, arifairs have fallen, relative income has increased, and the world has genrally becme more globalised, bringing much more need for air travel.

Quote:
Originally posted by burnzey boi:
did u know u spend up to 16,000 a year on cigarettes? if there is a population of 5 and a half billion thats like bying a space ship and living on the moon with 100 butlers and a 4 story home. its really a waste of money.
But why should i alter my spending patterns? isn't that the consumer's choice and right? what is the purpost to work if you are not permitted to spend money ernt in the way you wish. $16,000 is an unbelievably high ammount, that is multiple packs a day.

Quote:
Originally posted by jsalsb:
we are ALL paying for your deteriorating health and the astronomical health care costs that must be absorbed by the system (and therefore the taxpayers!). One US (CDC) study showed that smokers cost the healthcare system nearly $200,000 more over the span of their life than non-smokers.
But the purpose of helthcare is to ensure the well being of society, to discriminate against specific people defeats the purpose, smokers pay for the system as much as other people, and they deserve equal rights.

Quote:
Originally posted by Variol (Farseer) Elmwood:
Let's face it. IT'S BAD FOR YOU! And if it affects others then, you can't do it. That's like pouring all your toxic sludge on the ground and saying it doesn't affect anybody!
But you're missing the point, even if it is bad for me it is my right to do so.

And why should smoking be banned in all pubs? it should be an optional thing, why restrict freedom further? why take something else away. Maybe smokers like to smoke with their friends in a nice environment. All i'm saying is that perhaps some pubs should take the ban on, and some should remain smoking pubs.