Old 11-28-2004, 12:20 AM   #38
Dundee Slaytern
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Larry_OHF:
quote:
Originally posted by Callum:
You can't chew gum! I got it, didn't I!
Actually, that ban was lifted recently, from what I read.[/QUOTE]Some clarifications.

The chewing of gum in Singapore is not banned(at least, within the confines of your home). What is banned is the commercial sale of chewing gum in Singapore.

Additionally, under the Singapore/USA FTA, the USA is allowed to export medicinal chewing gum to Singapore for sale in Singapore's medical industry(i.e. pharmacies).

Ergo, if Singaporeans want candy gum, they go to neighbour Malaysia for their fix. :p There is of course, a restriction on how much chewing gum they can bring into Singapore from overseas. A maximum of two boxes if memory serves me well(one box equals twenty packs equals a hundred sticks).

Quote:
Originally posted by Harkoliar:
~~ anyway.. ill be heading off to singapore around dec 10-13 if anyone from IW will be there as well during that time
Well... I do kind of live here. :p

10th - 13th of Decemeber? Hmmmm... I will be on my block leave by then.

Quote:
Originally posted by Paladin2000:
Essentially it is a good and safe place to go for a vacation, but... everytime I visit Singapore, I felt like I have just entered a megacity Alcatraz. I felt so restricted and I was warned several times by my friends as not to break the law or I will be fined.

Gosh, the last time I ever felt so restricted was back in my school days 15 years ago... ~~
Life is not that bad.

Quote:
Originally posted by Callum:
Come! Takea drive up to Penang! Spend a few days on the beach in 'the Pearl of the Orient'! :p

Cos there ain't no way in hell my parents will drive me for 10 hours to get to Singapore to meet some freaky net people
You know, my birthplace is in Penang. Nibong Tebal to be exact. Chances are, I will be going back to Penang for our annual family meet.

Land of the Psycho-moe