View Single Post
Old 11-09-2004, 10:56 AM   #20
philip
Galvatron

Quote:
Originally posted by Bungleau:
To put it in perspective...

... you can certainly hang the printer off a PC and share it from there. Only problem is that if that PC is not on, the printer's not available. That's why I use a print server plugged into the back.

... I can't speak for all wireless routers, but my Linksys also has four wired ports in it. I can use those four ports and use the wireless at the same time with no downside.

... the wireless router can support up to 10-15 wireless devices if 802.11B, or around 32 if 802.11G. It is *NOT* a "one access point, one wireless connection" kind of deal.

So... even if I had all five PCs, both printers, and the Linux server running wirelessly, my single 802.11B access point would still have some room to spare.
The last 3 is what I mean with why buy another print server there's probably enough space already. Only one is a problem but I think that computers are on very often already in my experience.

Yep wireless there's no securtiy.

If you don't broadcast the sig your other computer that's connected wirelessly probes with the essid. Guess what you can just sniff the essid very easily.

WEP key can be broken pretty easy as well. I don't know for windows but in linux there are several programs that you just have to set to listen and then it calculates the key. IIRC the problem was that every security algorhythm right now uses large prime numbers and thus can be broken/calculated.