View Single Post
Old 10-22-2004, 10:41 AM   #1
philip
Galvatron

So yesterday I decided I would do my ICT assignment since I had to boot windows for it. So I did and the fun started.

Now I've used it only one day before cause I had to do something for school then too for which I couldn't use linux and after that I just left it for a couple of months. Doesn't seem like much can go wrong isn't it?

So I boot windows. Windows automatically loads media player, why? I didn't set that. Windows creates error. Windows locks. Reboot. Same thing happens. Another reboot. Finally it goes well. HiJackThis to remove media player from startup.

Now let's go into office. Click word. Word is corrupted (so soon?) and asks for CD. Crash, reboot. Click word insert CD, error again. Error message is really useful in helping me find out what's wrong. So I go to the M$ site. My profile was corrupt and the idea was to just use another profile (yeah right). Conclusion: registry is screwed up badly. Did I mention a registry is a stupid thing anyway no need for it at all.

So what to do now, scanreg /fix should do it. Hoping that this program would work was to much to ask, it didn't do anything. So I decided to put windows over my installation. During the short period of one day it had managed to create a lot of bad files already seeing scandisk. Now I choose to just delete the backup and install it over the old installation. Hell yeah, windows can't even overwrite it's own files. Crash reboot. Try again, same error.

Format C:. Install windows. OMG it works

Great fun again. Installing drivers for network card. Windows screws up driver. Have to install it again. Downloaded security fixes and some extra anti-spyware programs.

I still needed new video drivers. So I downloaded the newest drivers for my card. Windows crashes, have to delete the driver and install an old version. (Note that this driver works great in linux) Video driver finally works.

The office installation went OK, I hate the constant rebooting though.

So after a few hours I can finally start in Access and what is most beautiful is that I can use SQL so no m$. So I type in my first SQL stuff. Error and guess what, m$ has been screwing around with syntax :/ Besides annoying error messages it all goes pretty well.

And then suddenly my documents go all scrolling. Yay, close document 1, document 2 starts to scroll, close this one too, access starts to do strange stuff close access. Open HiJackThis, loads like 100s of times get an error message about full memory (no kidding). Virus scan nothing found. Somehow it changed hotkeys or something cause when I press f it opens search.

Reboot.

Everything is pretty normal. I open my documents and see the stupid thing has saved them scrolled down (did I ask for this, no why does the f&&*&*ing thing insists on doing stupid stuff)

Time busy with windows total: 12 hours
Useful time in windows : 2 hours

I hate windows... I hate how it tells me I want anything and insists that I do it the windows way. Let me decide what I do with my PC and in my programs just warn me if I want to do something stupid but let me do it if I want to.

Maybe I should just drop the subject and do a good old format c: and just learn real SQL myself...

(/rant)