View Single Post
Old 09-28-2004, 02:26 PM   #17
Luvian
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by The Hierophant:
quote:
Originally posted by shadowhound:
I think it makes more sense from a business point of view to produce games that can be completed in approx 60 straight hours. If a prospective customer is playing one game for months on end then they are less likely to purchase a new game.
Precisely. Making people happy isn't what corporate salesmanship is about. It's about making people want to spend money. This may involve making people happy at times (customer satisfaction makes for a 'loyal' consumer base), but the bottom line is that a game publisher needs to keep their clientelle hungry for more... not unsatisfied as such, but rather: unsated. [/QUOTE]Well... in our current PC Gaming market, they NEED to make us happy. We have seen too many failed games.

Take a look at Lionheart, Temple of elemental Evil...

There was a time when I bought every PC rpg games that came out, the day they came out, no questions asked. But now I rarely buy one. The PC roleplaying gaming market lost my money. I didn't buy those two games, I didn't buy lots of other.

I'm not the only one like that. And I think more people are wising up. Especially with how easy it is to get information now.

They might have been able to get away with this 20 years ago when the internet wasn't so pupolar. People might only have realised a game is a sham 4 months later in a magazine review, if they ever found out, but now we know the truth the day the game come out, if not sooner...