View Single Post
Old 09-20-2004, 10:35 PM   #12
Lucern
Quintesson

Don't know about the newer cards, but the Geforce MX series makes me sad. I know they can't just say "This card is vastly, VASTLY slower than a Geforce without this MX label", but it would save consumers some trouble.

I had the card that you have a year and a half ago, and upgraded to a Geforce 4 MX (by a gift). Before I opened it, I checked it's performance on a few sites, and found that it was only marginally faster than the Geforce 2 MX that I had! I got a Geforce 4 Ti (a great card a year and a half ago) and was amazed by its performance. You're going to be very pleased whichever way you go I'm sure, because these cards are much faster than mine.

Knowing what card you have, I'm happy for you and your upgrade. However, knowing how very old the card is, I hope you have a reasonably new computer to put it in. There's a limit to what the card can do in a given environment, but given the research you've done, I'm sure you meet the requirements.

By the way my modest card and rig (P4 1.6 ghz) plays NWN, CIV III, and Rise of Nations just fine (and more recently The Sims 2 and IL2 Sturmovik). Morrowind had almost no graphics settings if I recall correctly, and it would pause every 20 steps or so outdoors. Annoying but playable. Yours will do fine I bet.