View Single Post
Old 04-04-2003, 01:19 PM   #10
Rataxes
Symbol of Cyric

Quote:
I went a different route. Took Long Swords and Daggers for Jon-Bon's Chateau (dual wielding two enchanted weapon on the 1st dungeon is vastly non-trivial!). Once i'm out, i'll get 11K just from selling all the loot (+ Circus) - which is enough to buy a recharged Wand of Cloudkill. Then, i'm heading off to fetch Harmony (which has "No Reloads!" written all over it). Back to Athkatla - with a few Webs, Cloudkills and Meteors i'll take down Dennis. Boomerang (ranged weapon with STR bonus!) + Harmony and Web + Cloudkill and backstabs from the Staff of Striking will serve me well through most of Chapter 2. I'm also planning to take on the Fighter/Illusionist early - he falls easily to traps (since you can lay them downstairs and attract him), and he carries a Ring of Regeneration + Ring of Protection +2 - aka, Ring of Preservation +2.

Fulcrum / Ages + Crom or something will probably be my final setup. I'll do the Ages +5 vs. Fulcrum math someday. [img]smile.gif[/img]

We'll see how it goes, but that's the plan for now.
Sounds good it does.

My initial plan straight out of "Chateau Irenicus" has since I began always been to go on a huge thieving raid in Waukeen's Promenade, stealing every single scroll with a selling price of over 200 GP. Not only does it earn me loads of XP (usually around 300-400k) and gives me a plethora of useless spells in my spellbook, but I also get enough money to buy both the Robe of Vecna, Dak'kon's Zerth Blade and the Blade of Roses. Mind you, I didn't cheese with stacked thievery potions and stealing-reselling to black market dealers to accomplish this I began pumping Pick Pockets as soon as I had gotten the minimum scores I listed in my previous post, it was at 90 when I got out. Gloves of Pick-Pocketing, DUHM and a Potion of Mastery Thievery bumped that up to 165, which is more than enough to pick-pocket anything in Waukeen's Promenade. The only cheese I've resorted to since I began is the Shield of Balduran against beholders. Twice I've experienced, the painful way, how dangerous Beholders are even without their rays. 3 APR, great THAC0, deadly poison. I died twice to their bloody poison and I was dumbstruck both times, then I got my act together and got a Spell Shield memorized and PfP scroll in my backpack

My plan altogether has been to act as a fighter with thieving abilities and spells merely as back-up. Stoneskin, Blur and especially Imp Invisibility has proved invaluable against spellcasters. Never would've dared to do the Planar Prison with it's numerous packs of Yuan-Ti Mages if it hadn't been for that spell. In the later parts, Mislead made some encounters push-overs. Especially once I learned to make the decoy invisible and get 15 rounds of free and relentless backstabbing. Made the huge batches of Spirit/Giant trolls in the Druid Grove/D'Arnais Keep fairly managable