View Single Post
Old 09-09-2004, 01:04 PM   #14
Micah Foehammer
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Quote:
Originally posted by Kakero:
quote:
Originally posted by Micah Foehammer:

Suggesting that the Chinese use force to "reclaim" Taiwan is likely to end up in WWIII. The US has agreed to help defend Taiwan should the Chinese attempt such an invasion and also sold them defensive weaponry. China has been placated over these sales by the US promising to NOT recognize Taiwan as a sovreign nation, agreeing to limit the arms sales to defensive weapon systems only, and to NOT station US troops on the island. In return, the Chinese have agreed so far to not attempt to reclaim the island by force UNLESS the Taiwanese attempt to declare their official independence! Talk about walking a tightrope.
I know about that " you scratch my back I scratch yours " deal. However, aren't you curious to know strong or weak China's military is? That's why I suggest the force thing. Very interesting to see if China military is as mighty as they boast they are. [/QUOTE]I'm not curious enough to risk the lives of US troops and Taiwanese civilians just to find out. Taiwan is WELL within range of the latest generation of Chinese Silkworm missiles. Any US naval vessels moving into the straits between Taiwan and the mainland would fall under the force umbrella projected by those missiles; not to mention being targets for the large Chinese air force.

I know that there was a lot of talk just earlier this year about the "new wave" of Taiwanese presidential candiates making waves about holding a nationwide referendum on independence that was NOT going down well in China.

http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=3793&dateline=1187636  783