View Single Post
Old 08-25-2004, 02:44 PM   #1
Yorick
Very Mad Bird

One of my harddrives, a LaCie 160GB stopped working one day. So I sent it in to LaCie. They couldn't fix it. Said it would need data recovery, which would cost $1600.

I'm broke.

It did have most of the material backed up. On another LaCie drive.

Which also broke down a week later.

Both drives still under warranty.

So I sent the next one in.

I sent an email - do not erase or formatt the drive.
I made a phone call - do not erase or formatt the drive
I wrote on the box - Do not erase!

Without any communication from LaCie, I get the drive back yesterday.

Formatted. It had a faulty firewire port. Nothing wrong with the drive itself.

So now, I'm screwed. I've lost music. I've lost confidence in the drive. I know that shoudl I send it in, LaCie will ignore any request to not erase the thing. Data recovery is now impossible.

The rudeness of it all is astounding. I'm sure their policy is "well you shoudl have backed up", but I can think of a thousand scenarios, where due to the timing of a drive failing, a person CAN'T get the drive backed up.

It's like the builder of your house coming in to fix a leaky faucet, and throwing out all your furniture in the house.

It's like you going in to hospital to have minor operation on your ankle, and the doctor amputating your leg.

I mean, we wouldn't accept this in any other industry. The violation is extreme. The data is not theirs to throw away. Why don;t they take more care with peoples property? It boggles the mind. I'm not the first, I won't be the last.

I could imagine someone commiting suicide over this. It's really really upsetting to lose art you've created. It IS a struggle to put it out of my heade and move on.

I'd sue them, but I have no money.

Anyone else had this happen to them? Any lawyers here wanna do a pro bono class action for us?

It's not going to end here. The company needs to fix up it's communications, and the industry needs to frix itself up. We tolerate practices unthinkable in any other industry.

Imagine buying a new car. You drive it home. The brakes don't work. You call up. "Oh that just needs the latest patch. Bring it in and it'll be fine".

I mean get real.

Would we get served a meal in a restaurant unfinished? If we do, we're pissed off!

I like the builder analogy coming in to fix a tap, and destroying all your belongings in the process, to make sure the house is fine.

Unacceptable.

I will never buy another LaCie. They breakdown, and they erase your stuff. Pass on the message. Don't buy LaCie unless you want serious inconvenience.

http://www.hughwilson.com