View Single Post
Old 07-11-2004, 03:33 AM   #26
Aerich
Lord Ao

I second sageridder. Sweating out salts and toxins does not result in significant fat loss. The benefit is in increased metabolic rate and the burning of fat as a fuel source (if daily output is more than caloric input). Most of the weight loss noticable immediately after exercise is water, and your body will be dehydrated.

I trained in karate for quite a few years, and also fought competitively. It was not uncommon for me to lose 3-6 pounds of water in a 1.5 hour session in summer, even with reasonable access to water fountains. It was also not uncommon for me to drop 10-12 pounds in a week to get into my target weight category (done by temporarily cutting carbs and fats, increasing cardio work, and barely drinking the day before the weigh-in).

But you can also lose a fair bit of weight in other ways. I'm normally about 165-170 lbs, and last summer I had my wisdom teeth out and lost about 8 pounds. I got a new job that went from 2-10 pm. Supper is usually my big meal of the day, but it couldn't be with the length of my lunch break. I started walking home 3 days a week as well (about 45 minutes), and my weight dropped right down to 150.

If you cut your calorie intake significantly and increase exercise levels, it's quite possible to quickly lose quite a bit of weight.